Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Poltics: Girlie Govenator targeting the poor.

BUDGET -- ARNOLD BULLIES THE POOR:

"Film star turned politician Arnold Schwarzenegger has detailed a second wave of budget cuts in as many weeks (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-health11jan11,1,5600438.story?coll=la-headlines-california) , and, as usual, the sequel is no better than the original. The California governor's new budget calls for hundreds of millions of dollars in cuts to social spending, the Los Angeles Times reports, including rollbacks on welfare, health and dental care. Especially hard hit are members of CalWORKs, the state's welfare-to-work program. Schwarzenegger proposed a 6.5 percent cut in benefits and wants to 'make it harder for the poor to earn money on their own in low-paying jobs without losing their welfare benefits' (apparently Arnold wants California to be more like Wyoming (http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0111/p01s01-uspo.html) ). One college student named Ursula described the impact of the new budget plans on her and her 2-year-old daughter: 'If they cut my check it's going to hit things I need, things like food, milk, diapers, shoes,' she said. 'I'm not going to let my daughter live without, so it will be my shoes, my food that I'll miss."

No comments: